Planning for the future sustainability of SouthPark Mall is critical to the residents of this City and is also highly recommended in our Master Plan. The mall is located in a desirable area close to I-71, I-80, minutes from downtown Cleveland and Hopkins Airport. It is centered in the heart of our city. Strongsville has diverse demographics in regards to income and home values which will all contribute to the sustainability of our mall. These factors allow us to be pro-active by “up-zoning” the mall campus. Up-zoning refers to the process of increasing the zoning density in a particular municipality or neighborhood. The malls of the future need to be a true Live, Work and Play area which include indoor and outdoor destinations surrounded by green space.
My plan is to create zoning opportunities such as hotels, townhomes, apartments, office space, sport facilities, technology driven businesses and an entertainment district. This in turn will help us create interest and attract investors and developers. Ultimately helping us reach our end goal of the revitalization of our mall campus.
I have been very pro-active over the years talking with the decision makers at Starwood to assure we are on the same page as we move forward working towards a re-development project that excites our residents as well.
With opportunities on the horizon, it is important that we have the right standards in place to make sure we get the best possible product. Some of those to include:
- Water retention as to not burden the sewer lines and to help assist the residents around the mall
- Making sure the exterior makeup of the building exceeds the current standards
- Indoor parking integrated within the mall’s footprint
- Exterior parking consisting of pervious and impervious pavement
- Green space to attract the young and old
- Multi-purpose trail and exercise stations to attract walkers, runner, bicyclists
- An entertainment district that provides an experience with roof top restaurant and unique shops
- Family oriented venues including indoor/outdoor shops and activities
“Together We Can make a Difference”